Fervent (Not)
It's really dreadful when one starts thinking "What should I do now to keep myself occupied."
I'm not going to talk about job search cause I'm sinking into mild depression. I hate sitting in front of the laptop trying my luck in finding some suitable positions. I'm still insistent that I must have that particular pay range.
I studied and got the grades, I don't see why we engineering graduates should have salary similar to diploma holders.
I was scouting for permanent jobs at recruitment agencies with BQ yesterday and we came across to a conclusion that no one really understand what our field of engineering was. I'll go onto that later in a jiffy.
My mentality of seeking help from employment agencies was that I just produce a copy of my resume to them, update them on what my preferences of a job was with details like salary, type of engineering position I'm interested in whether it's sales, technical support, analytical, testing, etc. In the end, both of us didn't get to speak much to the recruiters. An estimate of 7 agencies visited in International Plaza, only 3 recruiters spoke to us (and they are the reputable agencies). The remaining gave us slips of papers with their email printed on it and told us to forward the resumes to them.
Huh?
Then how the hell would they know what we really want to do. I can't possibly pick up calls and start rejecting or enquiring. Anyway I sent countless of the exact same resume to the various agencies. But still, I'm hoping I get a job from this particular company.
Friends are telling me that I stand a high chance (because for some reason I stood out from the rest of the interviewees) but it's 2 weeks and there's no reply from that manager whom interviewed me. I knew the manager did mentioned to me that if I'm a suitable candidate, I'll be called back for a second interview. I was confused and was deciding to do a follow up or not.
Lokie supported a call back since there's nothing to lose out. If I make it or don't make it, at least it's a load of my mind - something which has been hanging over me for the past 2 weeks.
Jiaxin, however gave her point of view. She said that a follow up should be done like a few days after the interview process. Normally after 2 weeks, if the company doesn't reply, the chances are very slim. In most cases, people won't do a follow up because most companies would actually send an email telling whether the candidate is successful or not.
2 different viewpoints - what should I do?
I decided not to call the manager up even though I took his hand phone down. Instead, I sent an email which wrote: "Hi, (His name). This is Daniel. You interviewed me on 28th June and I'm enquiring about the status of my interview. Thank you and regards."
If I don't make the cut, I'd most probably won't have a reply or he'll reply that I'm unsuccessful. This are the two answers which I told myself that I'll get in the reply. Surprisingly, the manager replied 15 minutes later and his email wrote: "You will be informed by next week for 2nd interview. Thanks and regards."
I admit it's a load off my mind but there's still this possibility that I won't be selected for the job. The interviewer this time round isn't him (which he had mentioned before if I'm selected) and I need to really impress this time. I want this job because of several factors which is to my liking.
Fast forwarding, I think while I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping I get this job, I'll still continue to keep my options open. Much as I hate job search, I can't stand staying at home with nothing much to do (I'm not blogging frequently even though I go online almost everyday). The only thing keeping myself occupied at home is marking tuition homework. How marvellous is that?
Though I don't coop myself up at home 100% but going out is boring too. Apart from catching musicals, movies (I just caught Transformers only and it's good) and the dinner meet ups with working and non working friends, I need to stress that it's really boring. To add on, going out means spending money especially when you have friends that keeps saying "Got sale, must buy!!!" (Kevin will probably get what I mean). It's sale, sale and sale everywhere but nothing is dirt cheap.
I still haven't find my bag yet and when was the first time I said I wanted to get a nice bag? It's like many months ago right.
I've seen some nice bags but ...
Fred Perry weekender bag available at Tangs - $299
Zara leather tote - $249
Brand less calf leather bag from Domanchi - $300 plus range (but got 40% discount still expensive)
Jack Spade Emmanuel duck tote - $520 (after conversion to SGD)
Get what I mean? Nothing I fancy is less that $100. Give me a job soon and I can buy my bags!!!
Oh yeah, back to the recruitment agency. This particular uncle (who's in his late 50s I presume) said to BQ and me that whatever engineering jobs that come, we should just accept it. And he added that even if the salary range is $1,800 to $2,200 for engineers. I'm desperate for a job but if I'm getting paid that range to do shit engineering work, I'd rather join a bank as senior officer or probably teaching. What's worse he was saying that SIA's hiring (because he's in charge of getting people for SIA and he's putting diploma and degree holders in a same group). Aerospace industry is for mechanical engineers. I don't major in that and I don't have logistics knowledge, even if he forwards my resume, I doubt I'll get selected.
What's irritating he started commenting that SIA don't like people with long hair (ahem me) or style spiky hair (referring to BQ). We should keep a prim and proper image if we want to score during the interview. Hello, if they're offering me a pay of a diploma student, I rather not take the job. Yes, I know the benefits are good but why subject myself to a stressful environment where I can pamper myself with a better pay somewhere?
Anyway, I'm hoping there're more vacancies for my sector when I flip Saturday's Recruit. Another day is so going to be wasted on job search again...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home